Kline (and Loren, Kline’s mother)
Lake Tahoe, California
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!
1.When did you start using topical steroids? And why?
Kline started at 4 months old for baby eczema.
2. What was the name of the topical steroid?
Desonide and antibiotic compound.
3. Were you ever prescribed more potent steroids?
His eczema kept spreading and getting worse What kinds? I think dermasmooth was the highest potency we used.
4. How did you find out about RSS?
5. What made you feel you had RSS?
He looked just like everyone else…red sleeve and all.
6. Were you diagnosed by a doctor? Did you have a supportive doctor?
We saw Dr. Rapaport at 6 weeks off topical steroids to confirm it. Yes, Dr. Rapaport and some homeopathic and chiropractor.
7. What were your first symptoms?
Full body flares.
8. Is your family supportive? Friends?
9. Have you ever been to a hospital for this? Why?
10. What has been the hardest part of this condition?
The length of the withdrawal and watching your baby suffer and not be able to help them or speed it up.
11. How long have you been in withdrawal?
Started February 21, 2012, 4.5 years ago. Kline is still in withdrawal but living his life and much, much better…the itch and skin is managable but not perfect.
12. What do you use as comfort measures during this?
Popsicles, ice packs, lavender oil, EPROMs salt, Shea butter with essential oils, gauze and tape.
13. Are you employed? Has this affected your job status?
I had to take a night job because Kline couldn’t go to school.
14. Has this affected your Kline’s education? He had to redo kindergarten
15. Have you gone to therapy/wish to go to therapy because of this condition?
Yes, I think we all have PTSD and depression from this terrible life changing ordeal.
15. If there is one thing you could say to another sufferer, what would it be?
Take each moment by moment ..don’t get your hopes up on a time frame for healing, expect more flares to come. And ask for help! You are beautiful and strong and can do this!!!
Thank you so much, Loren, for taking the time for this interview!